L I N K S
Town Revaluation Letter
The Town of Willing was established on
November 19, 1851. Names for Charles Willing, one of the original
owners of the Willing and Francis Tract, is was formed from Scio and
Independence. Located in the southern part of Allegany County, it
borders the Pennsylvania state line. On November 23, 1854 the town
was reduced when Scio was erected from it and again on November 22, 1855
when territory was taken for Wellsville. It consists of 36.3
square miles; 22,150 acres of rural land.
Willing is situated near the headwater of the Genesee River, around
two-thirds is on the east side of the river and the remainder on the
west. On the east the Hemlock, Sway and Rabbit Creeks are the
principal tributaries forming the Chenunda near Hallsport and the Cryder
Creek. Spring fed streams on the west are Fords and Marsh Creeks.
Its first known settler is John Ford. He was originally from
Connecticut, a Revolutionary War hero, traveling first the Friendship in
1818 then to Willing in 1819. Names of early settlers include:
Elijah Robinson who came around 1825 from Brookfield, Madison County.
Davis Parks who settled in Willing in 1827 from Potter County,
Pennsylvania. In 1828 John Graves from Delaware, and in 1829 Asa
Parks traveled from Ohio and made Willing his home. Other names
from early records include Jabez Card, Thomas M. Perkins, Jeremiah and
Seth Graves, Ozias Yale, Nathan Woodcock, Enos Gifford, Jacob Truax,
Uriah Skinner, Lewis Ackerman, Augustus Beach, and Calvin Hall.
The first town meeting was held on March 2, 1852. John A. Foland
was elected supervisor, Ozias Yale, town clerk, Daniel P. Witter,
Fielden Chapman and A. Hurlbut, justices; David Wilcox, superintendent
of schools; Charles Rogers and Samuel B. Stebins, assessors; George M.
Arnold, Oliver Ackerman and Asa Parks, commissioners of highways; Amasa
Eilis, collector; George W. Cate, Charles Weed, David Dunham and LA
Jenison, constables; Jabez Card, WM Wilcox and Ambrose Straight,
inspectors of election, and Jared Stillman, overseer of the poor.
The first religious service was held in the house of Daniel Baker by
Rev. Seneca Fisch in 1834. The first school was taught near
Beanville (Shongo) by Betsy Lovell in 1836. The first death was a
child in the Austin Butler family in 18376. The first tavern was
in Beanville owned by Allen W. Gifford in 1838. The first mill
built wa also in the town of Beanville in 1842 erected by Allen w. and
John Gifford. In 1843 the first grist mill was built in Beanville
by Harvey W. Leach.
By 1855 the population of Willing had grown to 1,127 settled in and
around the hamlets of Stannard, Hallsport, Mapes, Stone Dam, and Shongo.
Stannard (Stannard's Corners) is partly in the town of Wellsville.
It is named after John Stannard and lies on the north border of Willing.
Along with a hotel owned by John Stannard there was a store, post
office, blacksmith, ME Church, parsonage and school. It consisted
of about 100 people. Stannard is the birthplace of Gabby Hayes,
well-known western actor who performed in many movies in the 1930's and
Hallsport is located on the northeast part of the town. it is
named after early settler Calvin Hall. The hamlet had a hotel,
general store, post office, blacksmith shop, two wagon shops, sawmill,
cheese factory, a shingle mill with planer and matcher, feed mill and
school. Its population was 150. Job Smythe, dentist,
physician, and botanist ran distillery there and is known to have
invented the artificial limb.
Mapes is located in the center of the town on the river. There
were only a few farm houses located there but there was a general store
and post office, blacksmith and wagon shop. Duke & Company also
located a large lumber company there.
Stone Dam is located on the western border of the town. It had two
hotels, a post office, a few dwellings and a school.
Shongo is on the southern-most part of the town and borders
Pennsylvania. It was originally named Beanville, but changed to
Shongo after Seneca Indian Chief Shongo. It had a wagon shop, two
blacksmith shops, sawmill, flouring mill, a general store, drug store,
hotel, post office, school and railroad station. There was also a
cheese factory and two physicians and had a population of about 175.
On September 24, 1884 a devastating cyclone less than 40 rods wide
ripped through Shongo killing three people, wounding twenty-two.
It totally destroyed twenty-six buildings. The storm was so fierce
debris was scattered for 18 miles into Stueben County. Some of the
injured were not found until the next day. Those killed were
adults: Willis Gardiner, Mrs. Edgar Pratt and Ann Lancaster.
Shongo is the birthplace of Mark Graves who served as the New York State
Tax Commissioner 1923 - 1931 and 1933 - 1942. He also ran for
The WC & PC (later owned by the B&S, B&O, and WAG) railroad ran south
through Willing and had switches at Maples, and Graves Crossing.
There was a railroad station in Shongo.
Most of the people of Willing were farmers. Beach Hill was known
for its potato crop. Dairy farmers in Shongo and Hallsport
manufactured cheese. In 1891 1,780,000 pounds of milk produced
189,000 lbs. of cheese. Apples and maple syrup were also an
important part of agriculture. There are only a few operating
farms today, yet some farmland is being revitalized by an influx of
Amish families. Farming has shifted to include alpacas and sheep
farms, nursery businesses, and produce. Many acres of land are
rented to a commercial farmer from Pennsylvania to grow beans and corn.
Some residents are still producing maple syrup.
Long past are the days of Willing's hotels, post offices, little
schools, and blacksmith shops. But businesses still flourish in
the township. As of 2016 there are twenty-four businesses in
operation that have developed for modern day demands.
References used for information on this page:
Allegany and Its People - A Centennial Memorial History 1795 - 1895 by
John S. Minard
History of Allegany County, New York 1806 - 1879 FW Beers & Co.
The Willing Story by Helen Shear